Friday, September 7, 2007

The Art of Photography

Photography is an art. Although I am sure painters would argue that they evoke much more thought and time into their product, and I wouldn't disagree (although I can't paint worth anything) I think photography is still an art. When I think about art, I like to be inspired by those who have taken the time to produce genuine, quality work. If we as professional photographers, don't take the time to study our work and compare it with others and try to find ways to improve, we are short-changing our customers. I am continually striving each day to improve upon the quality of my product in many ways. I have purchased a new camera (the Canon 5d) several new lenses, (28 1.8mm, a 50 1.4mm, a 100 2.0mm, a 70-200 2.8mm IS and 17-55 2.8mm) I own a set of three studio lights, softboxes, reflectors, umbrellas and several quality canvas backdrops. I am putting a lot of money in my studio over the next three weeks in hopes of taking it to the next level. I also have a long list of camera equipment I want to buy in the future! I keep my website updated constantly, along with my blog, and I try to spend time with each session to produce a high-end product.
I will be the first to admit that I have a LOT of growing to do. I look at the work of Becker, www.beckersblog.com, Jessica Claire, www.jessicaclaire.net, Angela Swan, www.angelaswan.com, Open Field Photography, www.openfieldphotography.com, and even several people right in our area including Sarah Petty, www.sarahpetty.com, Nathan Sawatzky, www.nathansawatzky.com and Kyle Shultz, www.lifestorygallery.com. When I compare my work to these AMAZINGLY talented artists, I see major room for improvement.

So, If you are a client of mine, THANK you for the support and continual patience and compliments, it makes me feel so good when people acknowledge that they've seen a huge improvement in my work! I am ALWAYS open to thoughts, ideas, and suggestions, if I don't get feedback I can never improve.

Thank you to my wonderful assistant Jason. You are AMAZING and I am so blessed to have you working with me, you have an incredible talent!
Thank you to Stacey, you know why I am thanking you, you've been a great friend and client, and you too have an amazing painting talent, which I could never re-create. Everyone go to Catholic Charities' auction this weekend and bid on her breathtaking piece of furniture!
Thank you to my wonderful parents for supporting me in all of my decisions and lending a listening ear!
Thank you to all of my friends who have been so supportive and patient while I ignore them and continually put my clients first!
And, I'll thank my awesome boyfriend in advance for the great paint job I am sure he will do this weekend on the studio, I'll post photos!

No comments: